Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Safari/Camino, Separators & Duplicate Items (Read 23652 times)
Jaws
Safari/Camino, Separators & Duplicate Items
Nov 12th, 2009 at 1:14am
Print Post  
First off, let me congratulate Sheep Systems on the great work on Bookmacster. It's already a great program, and I'm sure it will get even better. However, I wanted to describe an issue I'm having that I've also had with Bookdog that complicates matters with my sync operations. Historically, this issue has kept me using Bookit instead of Bookdog. Let me describe the issue and my current setup:

I mainly use Safari, but use Camino as my "default" bookmark store because of its support for separators (which I have dozens of). I've been using Bookit with Camino as my "master browser (because of the separators thing), which I then "compare" with Safari. New bookmarks I've added in Safari are then indicated in the "Missing Bookmarks" section, I then add/organize them to the master bookmark list, and then sync/export them back to both Safari and Camino (I would export to Firefox 3 too, but Bookit doesn't have FF3 support). This has been a relatively easy and effective way to manage & sync my bookmarks between my various browsers, but I've been wanting to move on from Bookit to Bookdog/Bookmacster for a while now to have some more advanced control, insertion of new Safari bookmarks to appropriate place in synced bookmarks (and ditching the manual "missing bookmarks" concept), and due to lack of upgrades of Bookit.

I have yet to be able to figure out how to do something similar with Bookdog/Bookmacster. Perhaps this is because it isn't possible, or perhaps I have been using the wrong settings. This is what I've tried and experienced with Bookmacster.

When creating a new Bookmarkshelf, I select "Manage Bookmarks among multiple browser" and select Camino and Safari to import from, and Camino, Safari, and Firefox to export to. Upon the initial import into Bookmacster, there are no separators present. There also doesn't seem to be an option to favor Camino bookmarks over Safari for this purpose. It's important to note that my bookmarks seem accurate and there doesn't seem to be any duplication of bookmarks with this default option. If I "delete all content," select "clean slate" under import options, and then re-import the bookmarks, all of my bookmarks & folders appear duplicated twice under each folder and still no separators. If I remove Safari as an import client, and just import Camino, I only see separators if I select "clean slate" option. If I try things this way, and just import from Camino at first (with "clean slate" selected), then add Safari after the initial import, then import again (to grab the new bookmarks from Safari), I end up with all my bookmarks duplicated twice.

How can I duplicate my current Bookit workflow with Bookmacster, or at least be able to get separators working and syncing properly to Camino?

Thanks for your assistance, and sorry for the long post (I wanted to be thorough)!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2009 at 5:12am by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint